Generally application process for international student can be summarized as follow:
The applicant should obtain letter of acceptance by submitting application form and submitting to the University of Jember with the following required documents :
– Photocopy of academic certificate and transcript of senior high school, bachelor, and master
– Photocopy of a valid passports, the validity of passport must at least 1 year.
– Latest passport size (4 x 6 cm) photographs
– Letter of financial guarantee. Self financing must attach a latest bank statement.
– Letter of health statement from the health authorities.
– Letter of statement that indicated that the student will obey Indonesian regulation and local authorities code of conduct.
– University will issue an acceptance letter for accepted applicant
– Based on the letter of acceptance from the University, foreign students can apply Visa Social and Cultural (VKSB) to the local Indonesian Embassy or the local representative of the Republic of Indonesia.
Obtaining a Social and Cultural Visit Visa entering to Indonesia :
This is only a general guideline obtaining a visa to Indonesia for study/training purpose. Please consult to the local Office of Indonesian Embassy or Representative for the complete guideline. Prospective student must obtain and fill visa application form from the local Indonesia Embassy or Representative. After completing all the necessary documentation/ application forms, the student should come to the Visa Section of the local Embassy to apply for a Social Visit Visa. Why is it a Social Visit Visa and not a Student Visa? Study is the main element of education and that education comes under “Social and Cultural Visits”. Furthermore, the Embassy is not authorized to issue Student Visas. All Student Visas should be separately applied for in Indonesia, when students are already in Indonesia.
The following documents should be submitted with an application for a Social Visit Visa:
– A valid passport (minimum validity being 6 months as from the date of entry into Indonesia)
– Completed visa application forms (2 forms per applicant)
– Two colored passport size photograph
– A letter of registration from the University verifying the duration/nature of the applicant’s course or letter of acceptance from University
– Evidence that all the necessary fees have been paid in advance. If the applicant is on a scholarship/ award, a statement/letter of confirmation from the sponsor(s)/awardee(s) is required
– Evidence that the applicant has sufficient funds to maintain him/herself for the duration of his/her proposed stay in Indonesia
– Evidence of obligation in the applicant’s country of permanent residence (e.g. a letter from the applicant’s supervisor/college/school certifying the applicants’ intention to return there after the visit to Indonesia)
After obtaining the required visa, students can go to Indonesia, and can start studying once every aspect of their training program is in order. However, the student should be aware that he/she still holds a 4/5 week Social Visit Visa and that this visa must still be converted to a Student Visa and a stay permit obtained from the Immigration Office in Indonesia. The student should therefore finalize their Visa and Stay Permit far before their Social Visit Visa expire
Converting Social and Cultural Visa to Student Visa:
Students should report to/contact the Student Administration/International Office at the University of Jember who may be able to assist them with their documentation and other matters in order to apply for a Student Visa and Stay Permit. With the assistance of the Student Office, students should then submit all the necessary papers and documentation to the Directorate General for Higher Education of the Department of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia in Jakarta, and the Bureau for International Co-operation of the Department of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia in Jakarta, who in co-ordination with other departments, including the Immigration Head Office in Jakarta, will process the applications. This process can take a considerable length of time.
Students should give complete address of their residence in Indonesia or the address of the Student Administration Office where they are studying, so that the University or the Immigration Office can notify them as soon as their application has been successfully granted. If and when the application has been approved, the Immigration Head Office in Indonesia will process the change in visa of the student that is from a Social Visit Visa to a Student Visa/Stay Permit.
The Immigration Head Office in Indonesia will then inform and authorize the Jember Immigration Office to issue the student with a Student Visa and a Limited/Temporary Stay Permit (usually in the form of card) valid for 1 (one) year with the possibility of extension four times, each extension being valid for 1 (one) year. Jember Immigration Office will inform the student either directly or University office that he/she can come to the Immigration Office to be issued with the Student Visa and the Limited/Temporary Stay Permit Card.
Please be advised that there is a fee for the Limited/ Temporary Stay Permit Card and should be paid in cash only. If the student’s studies have not yet finished but the Visa/ Stay Permit has already expires or will shortly be expiring, then the student can get an extension. A student can submit his/ her application for an extension at the Jember Immigration Office.